Monday, May 25, 2015

First Impressions: Jeju Island Gatsby, Producer, Ex-Girlfriend Club

I spent my weekend like any true K-Drama fan: catching up and starting new shows that I've waited all year to see. I must say that these three shows definitely didn't disappoint. From the acting to the story line, I am officially on-board for these dramas.


Jeju Island Gatsby a.k.a. Warm and Cozy
So far I am totally in love with this drama. The thing I like most is the dynamic between the two main characters played by Yoo Yeon Suk and Kang So Ra. The working chemistry of the two actors is very visible but what's better than that is that the two characters are actually in an amiable relationship from the beginning. I think it's rare to have this type of drama to start off with the two leads not completely hating each other, but I think it fits the setting of Jeju-do. How can you hate anyone with such beautiful scenery surrounding you?

So far the story is off to a good start too. Kang So Ra's character, Lee Jung Joo, gets her house money stolen by her friends so that they can buy a cafe on Jeju. Fortunately she catches them and decides to make the house a cafe herself. Unfortunately, this doesn't really put her on the good side of the locals who also hate Yoo Yeon Suk's character, Beak Gun Woo. Though the drama starts off with Kang So Ra crying, a lot, it seems like it will be light and enjoyable romantic comedy.

Producer:
Although I am really excited to watch this drama, after watching the first four episodes I feel like it's missing something. I can't put my finger on it but I think it's missing some tension or something. I'm not really sure what it's lacking at this point, but I can tell you what it isn't lacking. Right now the show has an really interesting concept that I can't wait to see play out. It also has a very great cast that seems to work together well.

I've never seen Cha Tae Hyun act in anything but I can see why he is such a highly praised actor. I thought it would be awkward to watch him act after seeing him as himself on 2 Days, 1 Night but the way he is playing his character has totally sucked me in. I completely forgot that he's a clumsy father of three. I think my favorite thing is going to be a mean IU. So far she's acting out her character well and I hope that as she softens it seems natural and not forced. I also appreciate that instead of Gong Hyo Jin's character being the nice version of a female lead it's a strong and relatable character. I also like that Kim Soo Hyun's character is similar to his character from Dream High: clueless but talented. I have high hopes for this drama.

Ex-Girlfriend Club:
After just 4 episodes I am completely in love with this show. It's cheeky, funny, and on the tongue-in-cheek side of dramas. I also really love the theme song: Variegated by Jannabi. This drama is for all those people who are looking for realistic and strong female leads as well as a male lead that's strong enough to put up with it all. I think the thing that intrigues me the most is the friendship between the two leads played by Song Ji Hyo and Byun Yo Han. Instead of the writers forcing romance they are focusing on how they work well as friends. Of course, this is a k-drama, so I am expecting them to be coupled off but I am not focused on the fact that they aren't because watching their relationship as it is now is just as entertaining.

If you're looking for a drama to start I would highly recommend one of these. 

No comments:

Post a Comment