Thursday, February 19, 2015

My Favorite Dramas of 2014

This year was my first full year as a K-Drama addict. I thought it was a great year to be a fan of Korean entertainment and entertainment from other Asian countries such as Taiwan, China, and Japan.

I managed to watch an astonishing number of dramas from start to finish this year, and out of that astonishing number I completed 43 dramas that I consider to be 2014 dramas. Below is the full list of 2014 dramas that I've watched, some if which started in late 2013 and ended in January 2015.

Here's the list in alphabetical order:
A Witch's Romance
Emergency Couple
Joseon Gunman
Plus Nine Boys
After School Lucky or Not 2
Empress Ki
King of High School Life Conduct
Pretty Man
Aftermath
Fall in Love with Me
Love Cells
Pride & Prejudice
Angel Eyes
Fated to Love You
(Korean)
Marriage, Not Dating
Prime Minister & I
Another Parting
Golden Cross
Misaeng
Sly & Single Again
Be Arrogant
Grandpa Over Flowers Investigation Team
Miss Korea
Surplus Princess
(The Mermaid)
Big Man
Healer
Modern Farmer
The Night Watchmen's Journal
Birth of a Beauty
High School - Love On
My Love from Another Star
The Perfect Insider
Boarding House 24
Hotel King
My Lovely Girl
Tomorrow's Cantabile (Naeil's Cantabile)
Bride of the Century
In a Good Way
Mysterious Summer
Trot Lovers
Deja Vu
Inspiring Generation
(Age of Feeling)
Partners by Blood
You Are All Surrounded
Discovery of Romance
It's Okay, That's Love 
Pinocchio

Doctor Stranger




MY FAVORITES - In Alphabetical Order
Bride of the Century - This series was surprisingly enjoyable. I think my favorite part of the series was seeing a different side to Lee Hong Ki. The only thing I had seen him in before this series was You're Beautiful, so I thought he might only be cast in cute, funny roles. I thought his stern and cold side was a nice change of pace and showed his acting range. The show itself was actually an interesting one to watch. The mix of romance and horror is one that seemed to become really popular after shows like The Master's Sun. This one may not have been as ground-breaking but it had many good elements and also introduced us to a new leading lady in Yang Jin Sung who successfully carried two roles at the same time. I also thought that the writers handled the death of the first wife issue well, revealing sad family truths for both Kang Joo and Doo Rim.

Empress Ki - I have only seen like 3 productions with Ha Ji Won in it and I have yet to be disappointed. The best thing about this show was Ha Ji Won being her usual boss chick self. Though the cross-dressing element is a little overdone these days it was entertaining because unlike some of the other cross-dressing heroines she actually had masculine traits like being able to fight. However, as awesome as she was as Ki Nyang, I think we can't talk about how great this show was without talking about our two leading men. Joo Jin Mo and Ji Chang Wook literally fought to the death, not just for Nyang but for Goryeo. The political battles were just as heart-wrenching and dramatic as the romantic battle.

Grandpa Over Flowers Investigation Team - This was a really fun show with an impressive cast and an interesting plot. I enjoyed it, plus it was only 12 episodes so it was totally worth watching. One of the most entertaining things was watching Heechul being in an unrequited love. Not sure if that's ever happened to him in real life but it was fun to see his goofy self work through it. Also, watching the senior actors play young men who also had to act like old men was hilarious. The show also had a good bit of action because the characters were cops.


Healer - Ji Chang Wook went from whiny emperor to tough night courier. It was a really awesome transformation. Aside from that, this show was just all kinds of good. First off the OTP had my feels all over the place, I rooted with all my heart for little Park Bong Soo and Chae Yong Shin. The entire cast was amazing and did a good job at either making me laugh or sending chills down my spine. My favorite thing about the show was the smooth mix of Action, Romance, and Comedy. There were a lot of funny moments that grounded the show and made the show that much more enjoyable.

In a Good Way - I really enjoyed this Taiwanese drama. I liked the characters a lot. They were all so distinct even though were in the same place, and the same time, and experiencing similar things. One of the most noteworthy things about the show was the chemistry between the two leads Lego Li as Liu Shan Feng and Kristen Ren as Lin Jia En. They really had me shipping the two actors. The chemistry of the whole cast was one that was really enjoyable to watch, it made me want to hang out with my friends and have cool adventures. Though the show's characters had some fantastical experiences they were believable and enjoyable to watch.

It's Okay That's Love - Definitely my favorite show for the year. So far, following Gong Hyo Jin has not led me astray. I think we all have to admit that the chemistry between the lead characters had us all screaming with envy at our screens, but aside from that I think the show very successfully explored the lives of patients and doctors of psychiatric medicine. There were so many enjoyable and admirable elements to the show: both of the leads had mental illnesses, the bromance between Jo Dong-Min and Park Soo-Gwang, the romances, the dysfunctional relationships all the characters had with each other, and the soundtrack. This show really boasted one of the most enjoyable soundtracks I've ever heard. I also have to give big props to Lee Kwnag Soo for realistically portraying Tourette syndrome while still being his usual comedic self. Just know that I highly recommend the show.

Marriage, Not Dating - This show didn't turn out how I expected it to. From the title I expected a mix of Lie to Me and Fated to Love You, but it was different. It had all the familiar elements but there was a refreshing spin put on it. I can't pinpoint what it was but something about this show made it much more enjoyable to watch than I expected. I actually watched the show all in one go because I was that excited about it once I started. I think one of the things that I really liked was the tangled love hexagon that was put before us. I liked that nobody really hid their feelings for others from each other despite the fact that two of the people were supposed to be "engaged." I also found the friendship of Joo Jang-Mi, Kong Ki-Tae, and Han Yeo-Reum really funny considering that it was a love triangle. It was just a really fun show to watch and wasn't bogged down by too much drama.

Misaeng (Incomplete Life) - A really great show. After watching it I understood why it got such a positive response from audiences. It was amazingly clever and real. I liked that the show didn't try to romanticize the life of an office worker, and any fantastical elements they did add was presented in a such a way that you knew that the writers weren't taking themselves too seriously. The characters were also very special. For me, I could see a little piece of myself in every character and I liked that. I highly recommend it.

Modern Farmer - I think this show was really underrated. It was one of the most hilarious shows I've seen in a while. Just purely funny, not too much drama, not too much romance, but not lacking in those departments either. It was really enjoyable to watch and all the cast members did a great job being funny and endearing.

Partners by Blood (Bitter Blood) - Loved it! Definitely my favorite Japanese drama by far. It was hilarious and full of action. I really looked forward to every episode while watching because I knew that I was going to enjoy the experience of watching it. There were a lot of unexpected but really great elements in the show. For instance, the son, Natsuki Sahara played by Takeru Sato was more sensitive than the other detectives or his father. That difference alone made the contrast between the characters very entertaining.

Pinocchio - This one really gave It's Okay, That's Love a run for it's money. The main couple was just all kinds of sweet even though they had their ups and downs they just couldn't quit each other. The mix of the revenge plot and the life of reporters was an interesting mix that I think came out well. I have to say that my absolute favorite part of the show was the fact that Yoon Gyun Sang and Lee Jong Suk actually looked like brothers. I mean how often do siblings look alike on TV shows or in movies, like never unless they're siblings in real life. For two unrelated people to look so similar, I really never got over how perfect that casting decision was. Also, Kim Young Gwang killed his role as the perfect second male lead. All the characters were really special and had their own place in the show rather than just being background actors for Lee Jong Suk and Park Shin Hye. Example: Who can forget Jang Hyun-Gyu aka Nosy Jang with the headband? I loved it.


What Happens to My Family - A really enjoyable weekend drama. I started this show really late, but finished it just in time. It was enjoyable from beginning to end. Funny, endearing, and had one of my favorite casts of the year. There were popular veterans and impressive rookies who really made the show great with their talent. The writers also did a really good job at mixing in the realism of family with the slightly unrealistic drama that must exist in K-dramas. Although there was a lot of drama it came in digestible streams and didn't make me raise my hands in exasperation during every episode.


I am happy that I got through this many new dramas in my first full year, but this is only a portion of the dramas I wanted to see in 2014. I am hoping that I'll get to watch some of the ones I really wanted to see like Gap Dong and The Hours of My Life soon.

Hope everyone has an enjoyable and blessed 2015. 

No comments:

Post a Comment