Thursday, September 10, 2015

Mini Movie Reviews: 2011 (Part 1)

File:Deathbell.jpg

Death Bell
Year Released: 2011
Cast: Nam Gyu Ri, Kim Beom, Lee Beom Soo, Yun Jung Hee, Lee Chae Won, Moon Woong Ki
Where I Watched: DramaFever
One Sentence Synopsis: A murderer lurks in the school halls seeking revenge for a student's wrongful death.
Mini Review: Not the scariest of movies but definitely suspenseful. It had a lot of layers to it that I didn't expect. It was a good movie especially for those of the mystery or thriller genres.

File:File-You're My Pet (Korean Movie)-p2.jpg

You're My Pet
Year Released: 2011
Cast: Kim Ha Neul, Jang Geun Suk, Ryu Tae Joon, Jung Yoo Mi, Choi Jong Hoon, Kang Ha Neul
Where I Watched: Hulu
One Sentence Synopsis: A man becomes a pet for a lonely woman.
Mini Review: This movie would have been kind of weird without the whole "pet" part, but even with that part it was weird. There was no fluidity and it was irritating seeing the female lead choose between two guys because she wasn't really good enough for either. Also, the musical scene was really horrible, but it did have some funny moments.

File:Detective K-p1.jpg

Detective K: Secret of the Virtuous Widow
Year Released: 2011
Cast: Kim Myung Min, Han Ji Min, Oh Dal Su
Where I Watched: DramaFever
One Sentence Synopsis: Korea's first detective tries to solve the mysteries behind corrupt officials.
Mini Review: I really can't explain how I felt about this movie after watching it. I thought it was going to be really great but I was kind of disappointed. It had some great elements and great moments but they never really came together. The thing that probably confused me the most was the sort of haphazard introduction of the Christian faith as a source of strife. It's not that I am confused that they chose to use it, that part makes sense, but the way it was brought up in the movie wasn't always fluid and the end really threw me off. It's a movie that I am willing to watch again to see if I get it better, and it's a movie I would recommend to other fans of Korean dramas/movies to see if they can explain it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment