Thursday, March 6, 2014

Bride of the Century: First Impresssions

It's really great to see Lee Hong Ki again. The only drama I've seen him in was You're Beautiful in which he played the cheerful Jeremy. This drama is a welcome change of pace. His character is very cold and calculating--I am really enjoying seeing that from him.


Aside from Lee Hong Ki's impressive performance this show offers so many other enjoyable aspects and it's only been the four episodes.

Description from DramaFever:
"In this fairytale-like melodrama, Choi Kang Joo (Lee Hong Ki) is the cold heir of one of Korea’s most powerful conglomerates, Taeyang Corporation. He is engaged to an eligible young lady from a small southern island, Doo Rim (Yang Jin Sung), but there’s just one problem: the first bride of the family’s first son is always cursed to die. The curse began 100 years ago when the bride of the family’s first son had a tragic death. Suddenly, before the wedding, Doo Rim disappears and the company conspires to replace her with a look-alike, Yi Hyun (also played by Yang Jin Sung), who has a sinister scheme of her own."

It is planned to be 16 episodes and also stars Yang Jin Sung as Doo Rim/ Yi Kyung.

My Thoughts:
This drama started off so well and I am really hoping that things stay this enjoyable. It's funny and kind of scary (so many unexpected developments plus a freaky ghost). As I said above, I am most enjoying seeing a different side of Lee Hong Ki. He's still super cute, but I like seeing a mean side to him. Some comments have stated that he wasn't the right fit for the role because he is too cute, but I think that he is showing great range and this show is a good platform for him to show his potential as an actor. I also enjoy the character of Doo Rim who is well-meaning and sweet but is sometimes a little clueless. However, her innocence makes for some pretty amusing situations especially between she and Kang Joo.

The story line, at this point, is a bit predictable though. I can very clearly see that though the main characters hate each other now they will soon fall in love. However, it is still to be seen whether or not their love affair will be an easy one. There are some sneaky things going on that may cause a few hidden bumps on the road to marital bliss.

Despite that, I highly recommend the show. If nothing else, it is entertaining. I sometimes feel that fans of K-dramas over analyze the shows and talk themselves into disliking a decent show. These shows were created for entertainment and nothing more, there's no need to constantly dissect the show.

I am watching this show for two reasons: to see Lee Hong Ki and to laugh. After power marathon-ing Empress Ki I need some laughter in my life and thankfully this show has it. Also, the comedy isn't thrown in your face. the show isn't trying too hard to be comedic or serious, it just is what it is when it needs to be. I suggest that you take the ride.

Tell what you think of the show if you watched it.
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment