Saturday, March 8, 2014

RANT: Miss Korea, Korean Drama, Was Not Boring


After watching the last episode I read a lot of comments saying that the show was boring and that it didn't meet expectations. However, I think that having expectations is what made the show less enjoyable for some people. Seriously, after realizing that it wouldn't be the same as any other drama I had to give up all my expectations. Once I did, I started to like watching it every week.

When I first started watching Miss Korea I didn't know what to think. It was unlike any drama I had ever seen before. It wasn't really a romance, wasn't exactly a comedy, and it definitely wasn't an action or thriller but it had elements of all wrapped into one. Though that combination can usually be a great one like in Master's Sun, it can also be a horrible combination if not done correctly. However, sometimes you need to forget everything you know, sit back and enjoy the ride. That's what I did with Miss Korea. After watching the first two episodes I realized there was no where to store it in my mind. So, I had to decide whether I would hold the show to standards that I created based on my previous experiences, or take it for what it seemed to be and enjoy what was in front of me. I decided to do the latter and that made the show much more enjoyable. 

I thought from the plot: a young woman wanting to go from elevator girl to "Miss Korea" with the help of her ex-boyfriend/deadbeat CEO of a cosmetics company, the show would be more dramatic or more comedic. There were definitely dramatic moments like him being beaten almost to death on more than one occasion or him having to go bankrupt from bad debts. There were also comedic moments like when Ji Young's family was interviewed for the "Miss Korea" broadcast. However, the show was also very dry and very realistic. I've noticed that most dramas are fantasy-esque and so they give viewers certain feelings even in the first episode, but this drama did not do that. If anything it just left me confused, but it also left me caring for the characters and wanting for them to succeed. 

The reasons why I don't think the show was boring are simple. For one thing it left me wanting to know what would happen to the characters. If a show can get you invested in the characters then it isn't boring even if it isn't exactly what you expected. 

It also gave us some pretty great glimpses into the beauty pageant world of the 1990's. Of course you can't take full stock in the the show's doings but it was fun watching the ladies prepare for the "Miss Korea." The crazy hairstyles, the painful exercises; it was really interesting to watch them go through that for their one shot. 

It was also very interesting to see the fashions of the show. I personally loved Madam Ma's outifts. They screamed "money" and sometimes they screamed "tacky." It was so much fun seeing what she'd be wearing.

My main reason for sticking around was the cast. I was thrilled to find out that Lee Sun Kyun (Coffee Prince) and Lee Ki Woo (Flower Boy Ramen Shop) were going to be in this show. Then after I started watching and saw Lee Mi Sook (You're the Best, Lee Soon Shin), Hong Ji Min (Style), and Oh Jung Se (Marry Him if You Dare) I just couldn't give it up. I wanted to see the show that brought all these people together. This was my first drama with Lee Yeon Hee, but I was glad to see her too. 

I think the cast really made me anticipate each episode. Their portrayals of the characters were great. Each character felt like a real person rather than just an archetype.  There was a limited amount of wrist grabbing, arrogant jerks, and idiot female leads. And situations actually made sense with the story line rather than being thrown in for a cheap laugh. I won't lie and say that the story didn't move slowly at times, or that I was on the edge of my seat every moment but, I didn't need to be. This drama told its story in a way that made sense with the story. It wanted to show us the trials and tribulations of a group of people struggling to make their way. It was actually refreshing to watch something relatable like that. 

If you were wondering if you should give this drama a try I would say you should, but be warned that it isn't going to grasp you and hold you the whole time. There are going to be boring moments just like there are going to be exciting moments. That's life though. Not everything should be about a handsome rich guy falling in love with a poor girl.

If you watched the show tell me your thoughts. 


No comments:

Post a Comment