Thursday, April 24, 2014

TAIWAN: "Fall in Love With Me" First Impressions

(photo credit to owner)

I spent a week watching nothing but Just You just so I could watch this show. When news of Fall in Love With Me broke, there was some backlash from fans because Aaron Yan's love interest wouldn't be Puff Guo. The pair played opposites in the show Just You and fans couldn't stand to see another pair in romantic situations. This is what sparked my interest in Just You and consequently in Fall in Love With Me. First, I wanted to know what was so great about Just You and then I wanted to know who Aaron Yan was. I achieved those goals well before the show aired so I'm proud.

Anyway, when I saw the teasers for the show I have to say I was worried. It reminded me so much of Just You. A hardworking sweet girl juxtaposed to a staunch boss of an advertising/marketing firm. The similarities are hard to ignore but I didn't want to count the show out because of that.

After watching the show I am happy to say that it seems to be doing a decent job of separating itself from Just You. It's just as funny and endearing as the other show but the concept is a bit different.

Overview:
There's a snobby CEO, Lu Tian Xing, of a popular advertising firm in Taiwan who has a short temper and there's a spunky girl, Tan Le Si, who is working hard to take care of her brother's advertising company after his death. They bump into each other and are instantly at odds. Though Lu Tian Xing owns a very successful company he's lost his spark and creativity and declares that he's taking a vacation in order to get his mojo back. While on his vacation he becomes Xioa Lu who helps Tan Le Si and her company in their advertising efforts. Though Tan Le Si can see that he looks exactly like Lu Tian Xing she believes that he is Xiao Lu. From there all kinds of stuff starts to happen. I don't want to give away anything.

My Thoughts:
I've only watched the first two episode but I think I may enjoy the show. It was funny, sweet, and has a touch of mystery that gives the show a bit more depth. I'm most interested to see the development of the characters. Right now they are the typical Asian drama archetypes so I am hoping that they surpass that in interesting and fun ways.

If you're watching you're in for a long ride. The show is 30 episodes and since it's only 1 episode a week it'll take quite a while before we get to the meat of the show. However, being accustomed to Taiwanese dramas now I am ready for the ride and really excited to see Aaron Yan in something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment