Tuesday, January 13, 2015

More Music Favorites of 2014 - Favorite Rookies, Comebacks, and Solo Projects

Favorite Rookies
HIGH4 - I am really rooting for these rookies. Their first 3 singles were well received and I am hoping that the momentum continues into 2015 and beyond. If you listen to the album you'll hear them take on multiple genres and do quite well. They also have a knack for snagging great female features, I hope that trend continues in their music.

WINNER - YG newbies, WINNER not only managed to impress through the competition show Mix and Match, but also through their first releases. WINNER's singles quickly caught fire and rose to the top of charts. It's not only remarkable that their singles weren't typical pop/hip hop song, but also that they had a hand in writing and producing the songs off their first album. Not bad for rookies.

Akdong Musician - YG's folkly twosome ran the show for most of 2014. Not only did their music make headlines but also their cute personalities. These kids are just all kinds of adorable which, in all honesty, breathed life into the usual line-up that YG boasts. AKMU is also another set of rookies that had a lot of say in their music. From what I heard it turned out really well.

Got7- These rookies really did impress with great songs and choreography. So far they have yet to disappoint and I am hoping that as they continue to show us what they can do through their music and their time on variety shows.

Red Velvet - Though Red Velvet got off to a rough start, I think that they handled themselves well musically and performance wise. Their first single Happiness was really fun and catchy and showed off some serious vocal talent. Their second single Be Natural showed that they mastered that balance between sexy and classy. I hope they can keep a classy image into the new year.

Favorite Comebacks
Rain - Rain's 2 comeback songs managed to stay in my head the entire year. Although I am not familiar with Rain's earlier music, I knew how big a deal it was for him to release new music in 2014. Other than a new album, Rain also returned to the small screen in My Lovely Girl. The show was kind of disappointing overall but I am sure that avid Rain fans loved seeing him in something after such a long time.

Seo Taiji - I can't believe he hasn't put out an album since 2009. After hearing the 2 singles from his latest album Quiet Night it really made me a fan. The two songs were amazingly arranged and I finally got to experience what Korean fans have known all along.

g.o.d. - Another comeback that I am sure OG fans really loved. I listened to their entire album and thought it was nice to hear the same sound from their songs when they first began. It was a very nostalgic and fun album. I am definitely a g.o.d. fan now.

Epik High - Probably the best K-Hip Hop album of the year. I listened to a lot of hip hop albums from Korean artists this year and I must say that I most enjoyed this compilation of songs. Though I am really not a fan of cursing in music I think that the banging instrumentals and thoughtful lyrics made up for it.

Favorite Solo Debuts/Acts
Taeyang - It's not like this is Taeyang's first solo project but this one definitely showed his growth and maturity as an artist. I really enjoyed both of his singles, but their were songs on the album that I loved. His vocals are getting stronger and his incorporation of several YG artists show his gratitude and love for his agency.

Geako - I'm not that big a fan of the album but I really loved the 2 singles he released. They were perfect for the fall/winter season. The instrumentals were a little slow and cool, but also had that signature Dynamic Duo sound--a mix of R&B and hip hop that they master with each and every song.

Zhoumi - I don't follow Super Junior-M very closely but I am very impressed with Zhoumi. To be able to hold your own in two different languages is tough but he pulled it off flawlessly. Rewind is one of my favorite songs from this year.

Taemin - Taemin is known for having an amazing voice but it was on full display for all to enjoy in his solo album Ace. If you ever had any doubts about the signing abilities of the members of SHINee just listen to them separately. They are very good at what they do.

For a look at more favorites click the links below:
My KPOP Playlist of 2014
My Favorite Korean Albums of 2014
Favorite Songs of 2014: September to December
Favorite Songs of 2014: May to August
Favorite Songs of 2014: January to April


No comments:

Post a Comment