Monday, December 29, 2014

My Favorite Korean Albums of 2014

I love listening to albums because sometimes the best songs from an artist are the songs that aren't released as singles. To me, you really miss out on knowing what an artist's music really consists of when you only listen to the singles.

This year I listened to quite a few albums, from artists that I haven't heard of, and in genres that I don't commonly listen to. After doing so I feel much more certain of my music tastes, the artists I like, and the fact that Korean music is awesome.

Here are my favorite albums (EPs & mini albums included) of 2014, this doesn't include everything I listened to or even everything I liked, just my absolute favorites in no particular order.

HI HIGH by High4 - I was really surprised by the range of songs. The first two songs they released had more of an R&B feel, so I expected them to carry that sound out, but they successfully did funk, electronic, and even a ballad. I love every single song!

Crush on You by Crush - According to Taeyang, Crush is one of the "new Korean R&B cats." To me he one of the most talented artists to come out in recent years. After hearing Crush's voice of Gary's Shower Later last year I haven't been able to get enough of the kid. Anything he's on I want to hear. His album was ah-may-zing! It had a great selection of R&B songs and incorporated just the right amount of hip hop. One song that was really great was the new jack swing track Hey Baby ft Zion.T. Crush showed off his very best in this album and I can't wait until his next album.

Crush by 2NE1 - Though I am technically a new fan of 2NE1 they have yet to disappoint me. This was an amazing album full of great songs and great lyrics. One thing that always impresses me about 2NE1 is the combination of genres that they do so effortlessly. To have reggae, electronic, R&B, hip hop, and pop in one seamless album can not be an easy feat but they make it seem so natural. I always love that their lyrics are about typical female emotions without sounding whiny.

The Manual (Repackage) by Eddy Kim - This album is what you get when you pair absolutely beautiful vocals with soft and sultry instrumentals. Eddy Kim's mix of jazz and soul is really addicting. The album is soothing but not slow, and it picks up in all the right spots.

Red Light by f(x) - I doubted f(x)'s talent, but this album is so great that I could no longer question how great these ladies are. They're one of the few girl groups that have truly interesting songs, mixing multiple genres of music into one easy to listen to album. From the Bollywood inspired track Milk to the disco, funk track All Night, they manage to effortlessly combine many many different styles of music while maintaining a playful pop sound as well.

Spellbound (Repackaged) by TVXQ - This album launched my love affair with TVXQ, even though my first TVXQ song was Mirotic. This album made me want to listen to album after album and even sparked my interest in JYJ. Every song has a more retro sound, coming from genres like R&B, swing, disco, rock, dubstep, and electronica. It also has a great selection of soulful ballads and heart stopping love songs.

Overdose by EXO - My favorite EXO album to date. I love all of their albums, but the thing I like most about this one is that every single song had a different sound. However, I feel that the change in sound from song to song doesn't alienate any audience member. It shows fans that the members of EXO have grown as people and artists, and that they and the songwriters and producers they worked with are recognizing that.

Rise by Taeyang - There's not a song I don't like. This album received great reception not just from Korean fans but from international fans as well. After listening to the full album it's easy to understand why. The album is a great mix of dance tracks, hip hop tracks, and slower more soulful tracks. The first song usually sets the tone of an album and Rise definitely sets you up for an amazing listening experience.

2014 S/S by WINNER - YG was definitely on a roll this year. Not only did their mainstay artists shatter records and break boundaries but their rookie groups managed to claim top spots of their own. Much like most YG artists there was no barrier put on WINNER's songs. There's great range and the selection of tracks show off the talents of all the members.

Blink by Clazziquai Project - SUCH A GOOD ALBUM! I didn't even know this electronic/jazz group existed, but after listening to their latest album I've pretty much fallen in love with them. The thing I like most is the very thoughtful arrangements of their songs. When dealing with this mix of genres I feel like some people fail to truly combine them in an enjoyable way, but Clazzi has completely mastered it. The smooth vocals of Alex and Horan also accompany the instrumentals perfectly.

Play by Akdong Musician - These fun folk artists are also among YG's chart topping rookies. The album is really beautiful--enough said.

The Vgins by Ven - Mix R&B, hip hop, and a little dubstep and you get head-bobbing awesomeness. I like this album's bouncy tracks as well as it's notable features (Beenzino, Deepflow, Odee). Ven's vocals are very unique (reminds me a bit of Zion.T) and they pair really well with the percussion heavy instrumentals.

Go Crazy by 2PM - This album is like the 70s brought back to life. Almost all of the songs have a disco/funk sound. It's a really awesome album full of great dance tracks.

Ace by Taemin - Our little baby is growing up and talking about things! Anyway this album was a great display of not only Taemin's vocal talents, but also his talent as a performer.

These are some of my favorite tracks off of other albums that I really liked.
*Shoebox by Epik High: Happen Ending, Rich, Spoiler, Burj Khalifa
*Locomotive by Loco: Hands Up, You Don't Know, Thinking About You, No Manners, If I, Hold Me Tight
*Up All Night by Beenzino: How Do I Look?, Up All Night
*Full Moon by Sunmi: Full Moon, Burn, Who Am I, Frozen in Time
*Sugar by 15&: Star, Sugar, Oh My God,  Rain & Cry, Silly Boy, Somebody
*Inspiration by Louie (of Geeks): Where You At?, Are You Up?, Side Mirror, Walk, High, Change the Game, Secret

No comments:

Post a Comment