Friday, December 19, 2014

My Favorite Korean Variety Shows (At the Moment)

Running Man
Where I Watch: YouTube, DramaFever

Overview: 7 MCs compete through a series of missions that keep them running.

Why I Like It: Running Man was the very first Korean Variety show I started watching. Even though I'm still new to the show I have watched all 219 episodes in just a few months. I like it because it combines comedy with action in a very real form. The MCs are super entertaining and I like seeing a different side to some of my favorite celebrities.

Roommate
Where I Watch: DramaFever

Overview: 11-12 celebrities live in a house together and interact on a daily basis. It's a look into how it would be like if celebrities lived in a boarding house.

Why I Like It: I was really excited about this show because the concept just seemed like such an entertaining one. How often would you get to see a bunch of celebrities actually living together? It was a "Must Watch of 2014" for me. I enjoyed the first season very much, everything happened pretty much how I expected. There were awkward moments, sweet moments, and heated moments but overall it was a very endearing show and cast. The second season recently started and I didn't know if I'd like it since I had gotten so used to the usual cast but I think I'm enjoying the second season much more. The cast seems a lot closer and like they're having a lot more fun together. I don't know if that is the work of the cast or the producers but I think the new format is much better.

Hello Counselor
Where I Watch: YouTube

Overview: Hello Counselor is a show where regular citizens send in concerns they're having and discuss it with the MCs and celebrity guests in front of an audience of 150 people. The MCs discuss about 3-4 concerns an episode and the concern that receives the highest number of votes wins a cash prize and the chance to compete next week.

Why I Like It: The MCs are hilarious but they also are very helpful to their guest. They try to lighten the mood as much as possible but they never take any serious concerns too lightly. As an international fan it is also really interesting to see the types of concerns that people from another country face.

Happy Together
Where I Watch: YouTube

Overview: The MCs including Yoo Jae Suk and Park Myung Soo interview celebrity guests. They do a lot of specials and invite guest that usually have something in common.

Why I Like It: It's always fun to get to know your favorite celebrities better and this show is one of the talk shows that give fans that chance. One of my favorite segments however, Late Night Cafeteria, has been taken away. That was the most fun of the show, but it's still a very enjoyable program. Both MCs and guests have good sense and good senses of humor.

Superman is Back
Where I Watch: YouTube, DramaFever

Overview: Fathers take care of their children for a 48 hour period without any help from the mothers.

Why I Like It: You get to see a softer and often funnier side of some of your favorite celebrity fathers so it's very entertaining for that fact. It's also fun to watch the children learn and grow and depend and communicate with their fathers. The show also tends to have a lot of celebrity guests that are just obsessed with taking care of the children as the fathers.

No comments:

Post a Comment