Wednesday, December 18, 2013

My KPOP Playlist of 2013

I haven't been a K-Pop fan long. I think it's been a little over a year since I heard my first Korean Pop song, but I have already developed a taste. I'm not one for latching on to the most popular idols, instead I choose who to like and what to like purely based on the songs. If I like a song then I will venture to hear more, and if I don't like a song I venture to hear more. I never count anyone out. Anyway, here are 10 of my favorite songs from 2013.

10. Who You? by G Dragon
I wasn't initially a G Dragon fan. I know he's a big deal, but I didn't really like the few songs I heard from him. Then I heard this song. I'm a sucker for a good melody and this song definitely has it. I also like the lyrics because it's a simple song about trying to get over someone and not really being able to.There are many other songs with the same message but the upbeat delivery is what sold me.


9. Rum Pum Pum by f(x)
I didn't like this song the first time I heard it. I'm not a big fan of girl groups so when I heard the chorus in that high pitch I gave up. However, a friend convinced me to give it another try so I did. And shockingly I fell in love with the song. I still can't explain my change of heart, but I'm pretty happy that I did. It's a great party song.

8. Gotta Talk to You by Seungri
I fell for this song the moment it started. It's slow and smooth but it still has a great beat that makes you want to move. Also, the fact the he says he's "hustlin" in English during the chorus really trips me out.

7. Ringa Linga by Taeyang
I don't usually go for rap songs, and Korean Rap songs confuse me more than English ones, but this song is really cool. A great beat, and the instrumental is a good mix between actual instruments and synthesizers so I appreciate it. Also, the way Taeyang raps is hypnotizing.

6. Gentleman by Psy
Had to throw one in there. I don't know why I like this song but I do. I like the way it sounds and the video is hilarious. Psy is one of the few Korean artists that is known to mainstream America so it's pretty obvious that I would know who he is, but I don't like the song because of his popularity. I like it because it's fun to sing and dance along to. Is that so wrong?

5. Gloomy Clock by IU ft. Jonghyun
I notice that a lot of K-Pop is upbeat and fast, even the sad songs sometimes trick you. However, this song is not like that at all: it's soft and slow to fit the lyrics of the song. When you want to listen to some really pretty voices, this song is the one to go to. IU has an amazing voice and it was nice to hear Jonghyun (SHINee) sing softly.

4. Falling in Love by 2NE1
I love the reggae tone to this song. It's awesome!

3. A.D.T.O.Y. by 2PM
They are most certainly grown now and this song makes it known to everyone. It's not a ballad, but it's not not a ballad--if that makes sense. Either way, the R&B vibe in this song fits perfectly with the lyrics and their voices.

2. Growl by E.X.O.
I LOVE THIS SONG!!!! This was my first exposure to E.X.O. and it was purely accidental but magical. I fell for them as soon as I heard the opening. Now I can't get enough of the kids. They sing well, look good, and their songs are a great mix of different sounds. This particular song's groove is what got me. It almost doesn't get any smoother than this song.

1. Close the Door by SHINee
Ballad! This song honestly makes me melt. Even if I didn't know what they were talking about, their voices and the instrumental alone would be enough. However, I love the lyrics too.

Do any of you have a favorite song from this year? Let me know in the comments. 
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment