Saturday, November 9, 2013

JAPAN: Hana Yori Dango

I have finally gotten around to watching the beloved Japanese drama Hana Yori Dango a.k.a. Boys over Flowers. I must say that I was quite pleased with the drama. As with the Korean adaptation I was really invested in the characters and felt pain each time they felt pain. One of my friends told me that this drama was better because it had more events in it however I am still biased toward the Korean version.

The things I liked most about the Japanese version:
1.       They gave Akira (Woo Bin) a family. Though it was implied that Woo Bin had a family we never got to see them. Seeing Akira’s adorable little sisters and his hilarious mom was refreshing.
2.       The “symbol among men” or something like that. The chest pound to the point that Domiyouji, Rui, and even Susumu (Makino’s brother) did. It was adorable! Corny, but adorable.
3.       Tama (head maid) showed more support for Makino. Though we could figure that the head maid from the Korean version supported Jan Di, they made it explicit in the Japanese version. Tama even cried when Makino broke up with Domiyouji. ~tears~
4.       The movie. I loved the movie! Even without watching the show I think I could have enjoyed the movie. WE HAD A WEDDING! We didn’t even get Jan Di’s answer in the Korean version.

Things I didn’t like as much: Though I liked the drama from start to finish, I think that the Korean version handled some things a bit better.
1.       Rui (Ji Hoo) playing the violin. It kind of just came up later in the first season and then it became a constant thing. At least when we’re introduced to Ji Hoo he is playing the violin so it wasn’t so odd when he kept playing it later on.
2.       Makino and Domiyouji’s relocation (Jan Di and Jun Pyo’s move to the apartments). I thought the Korean version presented it in a bit more entertaining way. From the housewarming party to the tearing down of the complex just to get rid of Jan Di. I was more entertained and frustrated by that situation in the Korean version than in the Japanese version.
3.       Sojiro’s (Yi Jung) lost love. It was kind of awkward in the Japanese version.

I also have to note that this may be from my bias to the Korean version, but I think the Korean cast as a whole was better looking than the Japanese cast. Don’t get me wrong, everybody was attractive, but the Korean cast was just a touch more attractive.

I also want to talk about my new favorite song: Utada Hikaru’s Flavor of Life. I was familiar with Utada before this because I own her album This Is the One. When the song first came on I recognized the voice instantly and became excited, but then I actually started listening to it and looked up the lyrics and now I LOVE the song. It’s so pretty, but sad. I’m not a big ballad person, but for the right song I always fall in love.


Overall, I really liked Hana Yori Dango, but I’m not so sure I can say that it was better than the Korean version. Right now they are on the same level in my mind.

What do you think? Is Hana Yori Dango better than Boys Over Flowers? 

No comments:

Post a Comment