Wednesday, November 6, 2013

My Gateway Drama: The One that Started It All

Every addict has a gateway “drug.” For K-drama fans it is that show that sets everything into motion. The show that is still number one to you no matter how many people bash it, no matter how old it gets, no matter how many other shows you watch. The gateway drama is the drama that will forever be in your heart. For me that drama is Boys Over Flowers.

My obsession with K-dramas started innocently enough. I was watching Nail Shop Paris at the time and I shared with one of my friends that I was watching a Korean Drama. Little, did I know, she was a K-Drama veteran. She got so excited that she sent me a huge list of dramas that I had to watch. Being that I was open to the experience and not wanting to disappoint her I started the list. The very first show on that list was Boys Over Flowers. Before I started watching, I did a little research to see what it was about. It sounded interesting enough so I went to Hulu (where I was watching Nail Shop Paris) to watch. After the first episode I was hooked. I pretty much did nothing but eat, sleep, and watch that show. It took me about 3 days to get through it, but when I was finished my eyes had been opened and the fire had been lit.

Since then, I have been a proud K-drama addict and a fan of Lee Min Ho, Kim Bum, Kim Hyun Joong, Gu Hye-sun, and Kim Joon. I’ve also been obsessed with the song Fight this Bad Feeling by T-Max. This drama did all kinds of things to me that no other television show or movie has ever done. I have cried, stopped breathing, gone off on rants to people who could care less, and honestly felt my heart break with each distressing moment. At one point I couldn’t even eat because I was so distressed over the show's events. I thought "If any show could make me feel that, then there must be something to this K-drama thing." And here I am now.

Although I am still a K-drama newbie I am quickly catching up and filling in the blanks. I definitely think I am working my way into the experienced mentor category. Hopefully, I can consider myself a veteran soon.

Please tell me which drama was your gateway drama. I’d love to know how you entered into the fantastic world of Korean Dramas.


Thanks for reading. FIGHTING!

No comments:

Post a Comment