Saturday, November 9, 2013

JAPAN: Switch Girl Seasons 1 & 2


Switch Girl was my first Japanese drama. I was nervous about venturing outside of Korean Dramas just because I was getting so used to it. However, my time outside of Korea has been quit enjoyable, strange, but enjoyable. 

Switch Girl is a fairly recent drama (2012) and is about a girl named Tamiya Nika who has two different personalities. During the day she is a put together bombshell, but at home she's a super slob. In the process of her covering up her identity she meets Arata who also has hidden personality. Through a series of bad events they come to be closer and are eventually a couple by the end of Season 1. 

There are only 8 episodes per season and the episodes are only about 26 minutes long, so it is very easy to get through this drama in 1 day. I watched Season 1 in 4 hours on one Saturday and the next Saturday I watched Season 2 in about the same amount of time. Because it is so short it'd be easy to watch with someone who isn't really an Asian drama fan. I watched with my sister and we both had an enjoyable time. 

Though the series was funny, it was also pretty ridiculous. The events that they went through are a little far-fetched. Each season there was the threat of someone getting raped, the first season it was Arata and the second season it was Nika and her friend Nino in danger. Why is this show so obsessed with rape?
However, that is only the tip of the iceberg. I don't want to reveal anymore because that would ruin your experience if you decided to watch the show. 

The difference I noticed most between this drama and most Korean dramas is there openness about sex. When you're watching most Kdramas, you're lucky if you get to see the main characters kiss, let alone have them discuss sex. 

Overall, I think that the drama was pretty good. It did its job of entertaining even if it was a bit ridiculous and the actors kind of overacted. But it was a high school comedy so that’s to be expected, I think.

You can watch Switch Girl HERE
Have you seen Switch Girl? What did you think? Let me know in the comments below.


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment